What Are Chinese Steamed Dumplings?
Have you ever heard of Chinese steamed dumplings? Read more to find out what Chinese steamed dumplings are.
Chinese steamed dumplings are mostly buns that are made of dough and ground meat as fillings. I am a very foodie person and once my friend took me to a Chinese restaurant and I really wanted to try the Chinese steamed dumplings. The first try made me fall in love with them and I have been addicted to them ever since. I know all about them since I have been trying to make them.
What are Chinese steamed dumplings called?
Jiaozi is the name given to Chinese steamed dumplings. It is a staple food in china and most of the Asian countries. It is also found in other countries in America and Africa.
What are Chinese steamed dumplings made of?
A Chinese steamed dumpling is steamed dough with meat or vegetable fillings. Mostly the Chinese dumpling fillings are made of grounded pork. Chinese steamed dumplings dough uses a cocktail of tapioca and wheat. In steamed dumplings, we use hot water to make the dough.
Chinese steamed dumplings dough recipe.
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup sugar
- 3 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 ½ cup hot water
- Put the all-purpose flour into a bowl.
- Add the 1 ½ cup of hot water into the bowl.
- Add the sugar and kosher salt.
- Mix the water with the flour in a swirling motion without touching the flour around the bowl.
- Add ½ cup of room temperature water around the inside of the bowl.
- Mix all the contents in the bowl until they combine completely.
- Start kneading to form a smooth dough.
- When the dough is formed, cover it with plastic paper or wet paper for around 30 minutes.
What is inside Chinese steamed dumplings
The content of Chinese steamed dumplings is called fillings. The fillings are the ones that make the dumplings vary in taste because they are made of different flavors and contents. In China, they use ground meat especially pork to make the dumplings.
How to make the Chinese steamed dumplings from scratch.
- All-purpose flour
- Grounded meat
- Chopped vegetables
- Hot water
- Room temperature water
Making the dough
- Add the all-purpose flour into a bowl.
- Add hot water into the bowl.
- Add the sugar and salt into the same bowl
- Mix the content using a mixer
- Start kneading.
- Cover it with plastic or wet paper for around 30 minutes.
Making the fillings
- Add the ground meat to a bowl.
- Add the chopped vegetables to the same bowl.
- Add seasonings in the same bowl.
- Using your hands mix the contents in the bowl
- Put the seasoned fillings in the fridge for 30 minutes.
Making the dumplings
- Divide small portions of dough
- Roll the dough into circles
- Wrap small amounts of fillings using the circled dough
Cooking the steamed dumplings
- Oil the steamer.
- Put the dumplings in the steamer.
- Steam the dumplings for 20 minutes.
How long do you steam the Chinese steamed dumplings?
The Chinese steamed dumplings are steamed for about 20 minutes. Oil the steamer to prevent them from sticking to the steamer. Put the dumplings separately to prevent them from sticking together.
How many calories are in Chinese steamed dumplings?
The USDA stated that one steamed dumpling that has a weight of 37 grams contains 41.8 calories. This data is for meat, pork, seafood, and poultry fillings and not vegetables. The vegetable fillings’ calories are yet to be accounted for.
Chinese steamed dumplings are dough with meat fillings inside. They are very healthy to eat. They don’t take much time to make. The recipe is quite easy to follow.